If your employer is participating in a defined contribution plan on Avenue H, you can use the system to compare multiple health insurance plans and pick the coverage that is tailored to your individual needs. Further instructions regarding registration and enrollment will be provided by your employer or insurance agent.
The first step begins with your employer notifying Avenue H they want to participate. Your employer will work directly with an insurance agent to begin the set-up process.
You, (as an employee), will be instructed to complete an online Utah Small Employer Health Insurance Application. All benefits eligble employees must complete a health application even if waiving coverage or are already included as a dependent on a family member's application and is working for the same employer.
Employees will also be instructed, by their employer, to make their benefit election choices during the scheduled open enrollment period. During this enrollment period, if an employee does not elect a medical plan or does not choose to waive coverage, the employee will be defaulted into a pre-selected medical plan chosen by the employer.
Enrolled participants will receive ID cards directly from their coverage provider corresponding with their benefit effective date. Coverage providers include: Regence BlueCross BlueShield, SelectHealth, and UnitedHealthcare. If you have questions regarding coverage, please contact the provider directly via the Avenue H Call Center at 877-213-1993 or contact your insurance agent directly for additional details.
Advantages of Avenue H
- Individual Control and Choice: Avenue H puts you, not your employer, in control of your health plan decisions. Pick the coverage that best suits your own needs, preferences, and budget. Avenue H lets you compare plans from multiple providers, calculate your premium contribution, and apply for coverage online.
- Pay with Pre-Tax Dollars: Health insurance plans available through Avenue H preserve the tax benefits of traditional employer-sponsored plans. Your premium contributions are made with pre-tax dollars, reducing your tax liability. Certain plans available via Avenue H may also allow pre-tax contributions to a Health Savings Account (HSA) which you own. For more information about Health Savings Accounts, click here.
- Plan Portability: Avenue H allows for plan portability, meaning that you won't have to switch your health plan if you switch your job, providing that both employers participate in a defined contribution plan via Avenue H.
- Participating Carriers: Avenue H allows you the flexibility of choosing your plan of choice from several different carriers. Currently three carriers are participating. We expect to see an increased number of participants as we progress.
Domestic partners will be available as an option starting with Jan. 1, 2013 effective date groups. Employers who wish to offer domestic partner coverage must elect to offer it on eHealthApp. Employees who choose domestic partner coverage must then sign an affadavit as required by our partner carriers, and will be required to supply supporting documentation.
- Affidavit of Domestic Partnership — PDF Version
Quality & Transparency
One of the initiatives of Utah's Health System reform efforts is to provide consumers and business with greater quality and transparency inforamtion regarding their health care choices. Here you will find our initial efforts to provide data that we feel will help the consumers and businesses of Utah to make better and more informed choices. Quality & Transparency »